Many years ago, collectors participating in an online listserv pooled their ideas to come up with “Fifteen Ways to Wear a Dress Clip.” Some of these ideas are very traditional based on how dress clips were originally worn in the 1930s and ‘40s; others are more adapted to modern use.
These ideas were compiled into this useful list, which has grown into sixteen ways, offering collectors and fashionable ladies suggestions for wearing vintage dress and fur clips:
A small Eisenberg fur clip can transform an inexpensive metal collar into a unique necklace. (Photo by Jay B. Siegel)
1. Hang one on a chain or collar as a slide type pendant.
2. Clip one on to dress up a plain belt.
3. Fasten a large safety pin on the inside and “hang” a clip on a blouse or sweater.
4. Wear one as a barrette in your hair.
5. Clip one or a pair onto the lapels, pockets or cuffs of a jacket.
6. Clip one onto a hat or hat band.
7. Use one as a scarf clip.
8. Tuck a clip into the pocket of a pair of jeans.
A fabric crossbody bag gets a touch of sparkle when a dress clip is tucked into the outer pocket. (Photo by Jay B. Siegel)
9. Clip one into the “V” of a V-necked dress or blouse.
10. Clip a pair into the bottom corners of a square neckline.
11. Clip one asymmetrically onto the round neck of a sweater.
12. Clip at the neck of a tailored blouse in place of a tie.
13. Attach a pair to the top sides of your favorite boots.
14. Use a small pair on pumps or flats, as shoe ornaments, for a day to evening look.
15. Attach to the collar of a leather jacket (test in an inconspicuous place first to make sure it won’t pierce extra soft leather).
16. Clip one on the pocket of a plain purse for a splash of color.
Do you wear your dress clips in ways other than those listed here? Post a comment and share your vintage style secrets with us.